Follow the evolution of the Writer Knapsack (and even participate and help make decisions) as I create the face and materials of a new and different take on helping writers in this crazy world of publishing. Join me from the beginning and watch the website change as I work on sketches to a final logo, offer tips and tales toward final production, and develop an array of materials for those living the writing life...all to fill the pockets of your own writer knapsack.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Hollywood comes to a small town

Some exciting happenings in the last week as a film production crew took over the small town where I work to film Stephen King's IT.

Rumor has it Stephen King was even in town, yet no known sightings or verification.  Though I have to admit that I have only read one of his books for the sheer fact I have a VERY overactive imagination and horror freaks me out, I respect the man for his work and as a infamous author in the industry, so being a writer myself made the rumor alone extremely cool.

And I found the behind the scenes so fascinating.  The funniest parts were the revamping of the local establishments into 1980s America.  A shoe store became a dry clean shop and another a deli, while a tattoo parlor became an ice cream parler (much to the surprise of some tourists LOL). The old cars were awesome roaming up and down the streets!  Not to mention the 20 foot lumberjack statue reminiscent of Paul Bunyan in the middle of a full decked out fourth of July setting in the park.

It really brought to light how much money it takes to make a film--and not just paying actors and directors.  The amount of crew lining the roads to ensure pedestrians didn't get in shots or politely asking us to wait before heading down the streets, the police officers directing traffic (and being really cool in letting me take a vacated parking spot close to the office), the extras (most local), the builders, designers and hired labor were all way too many to count.

But, I have to say, from my experiences and what I heard from other business owners and townsfolk, the crew were all so respectful and nice overall.  It made the small headaches of traffic, parking and just getting to the office or a block down to the bank less annoying and more interesting.

Now, will I watch the movie when it comes out?  I want to sooooo bad, but I don't know.  Like I said, I don't do horror so I have to find a way to watch it that it won't scare the living beejeesus out of me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment